Favorite Comics from 2012
It’s nearly 12 here on the east coast. So why not at the last minute? These are in no particular order and are books I was excited to read every month.
1. American Vampire- excellent vampire stories that has not had a single bad issue. I can’t wait for it to return from its hiatus.
2. Uncanny X-Force- I’ve been praising this book for years. Two successful relaunches and Remender raising the bar so high set this title apart.
3. Rachel Rising- this made me a believer that comics can be creepy and a bit scary. Check this book out.
4. Batman- Snyder and Capullo gave Batman a breath of fresh air and knocked it out of the park. Probably the best of the new 52.
5. Punisher- Rucka’s story has been a classic/masterpiece. It’s been one of the better stories I’ve ever read in comics. So damn good.
6. Batwoman- DC handled Kate’s introduction very well with Elegy. My expectations for her new 52 debut were high and it has lived up to them. A very solid character and fantastic art.
7. iZombie- iZombie wrapped up earlier this year I believe, but it was a very entertaining sci-fi book that had just about all elements of sci-fi. Ghosts, werewolves, zombies, vampires, earth destroying monsters. It’s all here and its awesome.
8. Wonder Woman- Credit to Azzarello for writing a Wonder Woman story that kept me engaged. I was worried at the start, but I really enjoy what he’s doing with the mythology.
This issue was so well written. Kate being out of her element fighting urban legends and monsters, now she has teamed up with Wonder Woman and seemed like she was in awe. She seemed so human with her internal dialog and questions she wanted to ask Diana. I suppose it makes sense though right? Kate has no powers and Diana is considered a demigod. This is a great team up in the making that could make for some really good stories down the road if they cross paths again. Batwoman as a character has been handled so well by DC. It’s been all uphill since she her Detective Comics story.
Inked Wonder Woman looks cool. Reminds me that I need to start saving for my third tattoo.
Wonder Woman on TV
I think normally I’d be a little skeptical about the odds of this happening/being good. But Allan Heinberg is writing and he’s a pretty fantastic writer. His Young Avengers stories are really great comics. I definitely have a lot of confidence in his skills to do Wonder Woman justice and also give her a winning shot at success on television. The show called Amazon will be on the CW which is the home for DC live action I suppose. It might be too early to speculate, but perhaps this could lead to a feature film.
Will anyone check this and the upcoming Green Arrow show out?
Diana dropped the people’s elbow! Where is this from?
Diana doesn’t take no mess!
So Clark and Diana then?
I kinda feel indifferent about it, but I also think it’s kind of corny. I mean what was the point of the Steve Trevor stuff in those earlier issues of Justice League? I think to people outside of comics it probably makes sense. DC’s most recognizable male and female characters, both with super strength and flight, etc. But what an odd pairing. I mean they don’t seem very compatible. It sounds a bit silly but I would never see Wonder Woman making that choice. Lois and Clark and Steve and Diana made much more sense. Both seemed to work very well in past stories. It’s just…weird. I hope this doesn’t mean more awkward couple appearances in Wonder Woman. I don’t think I can handle that right now in a book that has been doing so well. I don’t think Wonder Woman as a character needs this.